Saturday, September 22, 2012

Fall Native Plant Sales 2012

IMG_9886

The Fall season starts today and there are a few native plant sales that I wanted to share.

The first two sales are on the western side of the Dallas-Fort Worth Metroplex.

Not much notice on this sale. A native plant sale benefiting the Molly Hollar Wildscape is next Saturday, September 29 at the Randol Mill Park Greenhouse in Arlington from 9:00 AM to 1:00 PM. (Looks like I originally had the wrong date. Sorry if anyone when out on the wrong day.)

This sale includes a nice selection of 62 varieties of native perennials, annuals, vines, groundcovers, shrubs, trees and grasses. I have over half of these plants growing in my garden now and several came from this sale.

For more information about the Wildscape, the plant sale and a list of available plants, click here.

The Fort Worth Botanic Garden holds their annual Fall Plant Sale on Saturday, October 13 from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM.

The Fall and Spring sales at the FWBG are some of my favorite plant sales. Native and adapted plants are available from several vendors. The North Central Chapter of the Native Plant Society of Texas will have several great varieties of native plants available for sale and member volunteers are always available to answer questions and help you with your selections.

For more information on the FWBG website, click here. For a list of native plants that the North Central Chapter will have available click here.

On the eastern side of the Metroplex, the Texas Discovery Gardens at Fair Park in Dallas has their Fall Plant Sale on Saturday, November 10 from 11:00 AM to 3:00 PM with a member's preview the day before from 4:00 PM to 7:00 PM.

This sale usually has a variety of native and adapted perennials, shrubs and trees. Many of the plants in this sale attract butterflies. There is no additional information is available about this sale at this time. Check back with the Texas Discovery Gardens website for plant lists and additional information.


Take advantage of these sales and get some native plants! Fall is a great time for planting because new plants will have several moist, cool months to establish a strong root system before the heat of Summer returns.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoy your blog. Thank you for mentioning our event, the Molly Hollar Wildscape Plant Sale, but it is NOT today but the next Saturday of September 29. I would appreciate it if you could correct the date. -- Wildscape Volunteer

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry about that. I was sure I saw 22. I hope my incorrect date did not cause problems for anyone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your prompt correction! Hope you can stop by our sale. -- Wildscape Volunteer

      Delete
  3. I love your prairie. I, too, used to live in Plano and had a native plant cottage garden in my backyard. Right now I live in the piney woods of east Texas where we have sugar sand and a little more moisture than you. I have planted salvia greggii but find they get woody. Thoughts? I love scullcap but it doesn't seem to do well here. Where did you get the pine muhly grass?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ann. Have you tried cutting back your Salvia greggii? It acts more like a shrub than a perennial, so I cut it back since winter cold usually does not do the job. I cut it to stubs in late winter and then cut off about a forth to half of the growth in mid summer. My plants are about knee high now. The only place I have seen pine muhly is at Weston Gardens in Fort Worth.

    ReplyDelete